January 29, 2021
Dear Parents and School Community Members,
At last night’s Board of Education meeting, we announced that the in-person cohorts in grades 3-4 will be combined, so that students in those cohorts will attend in-person instruction five days per week, starting Monday, February 8.
Based on the current cohort enrollment numbers, we were able to resolve logistical issues to maintain six feet of social distancing, as recommended by the department of health. But as I explained last night, if we have students requesting to move from all-remote instruction to in-person or if we have new student enrollments, we may not be able to accommodate all requests, and there is a possibility we would have to return to the cohort model in one or both grade levels. This is the same caveat we shared when we brought kindergarten students back four days per week when school started in September and when we combined cohorts in grades 1-2 in October.
Principal Fichner will follow up with the families in grades 3-4 next week. Thank you to the teachers for their support of this move, the families for their feedback through our surveys, and the board for its support during the planning process.
Please remember, however, that the entire state remains in the high-risk category (orange level) on the state’s COVID-19 Activity Level Index (CALI), and we need to stay as vigilant as possible. We all want our students back in school, but we have to work safely toward this goal. Our incremental approach is working well, and we believe the early dismissal schedule provides the best balance for a safe educational program at this point in the pandemic.
We will monitor this transition closely and continue to examine ways to enhance the instructional model. Meanwhile, we are pleased we have been able to keep the schools open for in-person instruction, and we remain very grateful for everyone’s cooperation and support. Please continue to help by following the health and safety protocols.
On a separate note, the forecast is calling for snow on Monday and Tuesday. Though it is too early to tell what this will mean for school, please remember that our plan is to reserve traditional snow days for larger accumulations and all-remote days for slippery road conditions caused by minor accumulations or sleet. When we have to close or move to all-remote instruction, an emergency notification will be sent, no later than 6:00 am, if not the night before.
Thank you for your ongoing support. Have a great weekend.
Very truly yours,
George P. Alexis