George P. Alexis
February 28, 2020
Dear Parents and School Community Members,
We are writing to provide you with important information and resources regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) and to assure you that the health and safety of our students and staff are our top priority. Though the Center for Disease Control (CDC) has confirmed that there have been no cases reported in New Jersey, public health officials anticipate more cases being identified in the United States in the near future.
We are following our board policies and the guidance provided by the state and county health departments. Accordingly, we ask that you contact your principal if a member of your household has returned from one of the substantially impacted areas within the last two weeks and that medical attention be sought immediately if the individual is exhibiting any symptoms of respiratory illness. We will continue to monitor absences, ensure that our buildings are disinfected routinely, and take appropriate school-based precautions. In addition, we recommend following these general public health guidelines:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing. If you use a tissue, throw it in the trash.
- Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home if you are sick and avoid sick people.
You may find the following resources helpful:
We will continue to work with the county education office and the Somerset County school districts as the situation evolves. We will provide an update at the appropriate time. Thank you for your cooperation in this effort to keep our community safe.
Very truly yours,